Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm trying to get back on track. Sorry I haven't been posting regularly.

I really have no excuse as to why I haven't posted in a while. I could complain about how I had midterms and stuff like that, but to be truthful, I didn't spend very much time worrying about them anyways. I did make pretty decent grades on them though, or at least the ones that I have gotten back so no need to be concerned.

As far as news goes about what I have been up to, I have been freezing my butt off as it turns slowly to fall here. This past weekend, I went to my favorite Japanese bar (They are called Izakayas) two days in a row. The first night, there weren't many of us and we just sat around eating random dishes and having a few drinks. The second night, I was hanging out with the same people and one of them was a Japanese guy that I am friends with. He is a very funny guy, but he has the same problem that all Japanese guys do, he is really, really shy. He was telling us about how he liked a foreign exchange student girl and that he hadn't talked to her in three weeks and she didn't even know his name. So we spent a good hour or two thinking about how to get her to notice him, when all of the sudden she walks in the door with her friends.

So, first thing I did was grab my drink and sit down at there table and ask if I can drink with some other fellow Kansai Gaidai students, which of course they couldn't reject. Then I forced my Japanese friend to come over. Before I knew it, my friend had gotten her number and they spent the rest of the night being drunk together and trading out who was going to go to the restroom to... toss their cookies haha.

Nothing happened that was interesting at all until Tuesday, when I broke up with my girlfriend of only one week on the basis that I didn't want to have a long distance relationship. This, of course, like any break up was not overly enjoyable. However, the reason I am sharing this is because of the irony in the situation. For some background information, in Japan there is a story about the daughter of God. One day God decides that his daughter is a very hard worker and he is proud of her and thus she needs a good husband. So God goes to earth, finds a hard working guy and hooks 'em up. They then proceed to leave the path of hard work and become very lazy. So God punishes them by sending the guy back to earth and the daughter back to heaven. He says they can only meet for one day a year aka long distance relationship. The river that separates Heaven and Earth is called Amanogawa. There is a river in the town that I live that is also named Amanogawa. It happens to be the place where we had our first date. Then I decided I didn't want to have a long distance relationship. If you can't see the irony in this, I will be sad.

So on to more depressing stories: Clothes Shopping in Japan.
Today I went with my friends to go to Shinsaibashi, also the best place in Osaka to go clothes shopping. After going into the top three most popular stores there, I began to realize that even if my gut has been shrinking, I will never be small enough to fit into Japanese T-Shirts, Jackets, Flannels, Button ups, sweatshirts, fleeces, Polos, or anything that you use to cover your torso. My friends that are smaller than me walked out today with some awesome shirts. I managed one long sleeve T-shirt and some boxers. My host mom tells me I will probably have to go to a big person store (I can't tell whether to laugh or cry). On the other hand it does make you feel awesome when its your shoulder width and not your stomach that is keeping you from getting clothes. Oh I forgot to mention, I will never be able to buy socks in Japan. I have a better chance of buying shirts than socks.

Here are some random videos, then I am done.





That about pretty much covers everything I have to say at the moment. I am going to Kameoka, Stillwater's sister city this weekend to spend the night and take part in a cultural festival. I'll post on that in a while!

Later

2 comments:

  1. You'll have to give me the low down on this now ex girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time for another post... I agree with Sarah (I like her name :o), whatz scoop on the ex LD girlfriend?
    Uncle Dale

    ReplyDelete